It was completed around 1131 by the will of Giorgio d’Antiochia, admiral of King Ruggero II of Sicily, one year after the birth of the Kingdom of Sicily, to connect the city (become capital) to the gardens beyond the Oreto river. Even today in the square, called Scaffa, is a symbol of the link between the city center and the peripheral area Brancaccio.
The use of very sharp arches made it possible for the bridge to bear very high loads; it is also interesting to open small arcs between the shoulders of the big ones to lighten the structure and pressure of the river below. In fact, the bridge resisted even to the terrible Flood of Palermo in February 1931. On May 27, 1860, during the Shipment of Thousands, Garibaldi, right on this bridge and in the nearby Termini gateway, collided with the Borbone troops,
Since July 3, 2015, it is part of the World Heritage Site (UNESCO) within the “Palermo-Norman Palermo Route and the Cathedrals of Cefalù and Monreale”.